Monday, June 20, 2022

JavaFX Book Review

Learn JavaFX 17 is a good book with good examples but JavaFX has some unique features that can be issues in your use the platform.

Note that JavaFX 17 requires purchase of a license. There is no free developer version of JavaFX 17. A free developer version of JavaFX 18 is available and that is what I am using and I have not found any code from the book that dows not work in JavaFX 18 but I have only run a few examples so far.

JavaFX 17 lacks free developer versions because the JavaFX project isn't run like a Free Open Source project. JavaFX is not like Apache open source. It is not like Google open source. It is not like Microsoft open source.

JavaFX was an Oracle project for many years and therefore, closely tied to use of the NetBeans IDE. This is no longer the case and the book Learn JavaFX 17 presents examples using the Eclipse IDE. I did try Netbeans on both Windows and Mac and the IDE failed to recognize the Java JDK and thus I could not compile or run programs. The best experience I got from an IDE was from the community edition of IntelliJ IDEA. On both Windows and Mac, I had an example JavaFX app within two minutes of installing the IDE.